Monday, May 23, 2011

Creative Planters

Who says a girl has to use terra cotta pots for container gardening? I've got nothing against them, but a little creativity goes a long way! My favorite thing to do is find something around the house that's been sitting lonely in the garage and transform it into beautiful garden decor. I found this strawberry box on sale. I knew instantly I had to transform it into a strawberry plant container for my friend's birthday. Planting a white trailing flower with it makes it extra beautiful.
I drilled 3 drain holes in the bottom with the electric drill, filled it with dirt, and planted. I think it turned out pretty cute.
This next example shows how I took some things from the garage and made a decorative garden trio to cover some ugly sprinkler boxes. The baskets drain well, so no need to make holes there. I used some moss to cover the tops. I planted wave geraniums and some trailing plants. When these grow, no one will even be able to see the boxes. I also put rosemary in one because I love that herb and could have it in every container I plant!


Let me show you how to create a planter out of a wire container. I found this darling "apple" wire basket on sale next to the strawberry tin.

Step 1: Stuff moss, green side facing out, around the edges of the basket.
Step 2: Cut a plastic garbage bag to size and place inside of the container. This will act as a holding tank for the dirt.
Step 3: Poke drain holes in the bottom of the plastic bag.

Step 4: Fill the container with dirt. I also use Osmacote (which is a great time release fertilizer). If you place Osmacote in with the dirt, you don't need to fertilize the plants all summer. The Osmacote in the picture is yellow. Mix it with the dirt and plant.Ta-Da! Done in no time at all!




No comments:

Post a Comment