Sunday, January 16, 2011

It's MY NIGHT!

Early on, my husband and I designated each child a night of the week. The first question out of my kids' mouths at breakfast is, "who's night is it?" No matter that the child of the day has a few extra chores like unloading the dishwasher in the morning, or helping me with dinner, the real kicker is that he or she gets to stay up past everyone else to spend time with DAD (the superhero in our house). Usually the time is spent shooting hoops, running football plays, or playing a game. Other times it involves sitting by the campfire, or snuggling on the couch. It really doesn't matter what the activity, what matters is that it happens consistently week after week. On that particular day of the week, their dad pulls them aside and says with his time, "YOU matter, and YOU are important to me."

I've often said it is hands down one of the best things we do. Such a small thing, but something I believe will have a deep impact on our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment